Editor’s note: Russ Munisteri is a cybersecurity expert and Assistant Director of Education at MyComputerCareer.
RALEIGH – Apple has officially announced their plans to build a new campus and engineering hub in Research Triangle Park, bringing thousands of tech/IT jobs to The Triangle. But, how will the move shape the local talent market?
The expansion comes at a time of fierce demand for computer programmers, mobile app developers, data scientists and cybersecurity experts. Tech employment in North Carolina has grown 40 percent in the last five years.
And while the demand for tech talent already outweighs the supply, this move will create new long-term job opportunities in the community.
What Apple’s campus means for the tech workforce in the Triangle area
With Apple coming to the Research Triangle Park, this presents a great opportunity for the technology industry. Apple is bringing cutting-edge technology to the area, so that broadens the horizon for tech-driven personnel. Some of those benefits include:
- Advanced opportunities for those that are seeking career advancement.
- Various IT opportunities for those that are seeking to enter the industry.
- With smaller businesses in the surrounding area, employment benefit packages may become more competitive.
- Technical school student enrollment increases.
- Professional development with IT certifications.
- Apple will invest a tremendous amount of money in education to prepare students for the latest technologies.
Major tech boom in the region
Apple’s decision to reside in Wake County should generate a boom for the region. In the years ahead, the region will continue to see high-tech job growth. Apple’s $1 billion investment in artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, silicon engineering (reaction to the global semiconductor shortage), and 5G technologies should have a trickle-down effect with world-wide technologists looking to relocate and/or invest in Apple or in the surrounding area.
Once hiring begins and people start filling in the job roles, I do predict Apple will work closely with the United States government in developing advanced technologies for our national security defenses. Cities can…