- Big Tech companies like Google, Amazon and Apple face mounting scrutiny from antitrust regulators.
- The Justice Department just this month slapped Google with a landmark antitrust lawsuit.
- Business Insider analyzed visa filings to find out how much they pay the internal lawyers representing the companies in competition and other legal matters.
- Corporate counsel titles cover a wide range of roles, from drafting commercial contracts to litigating in a court room.
- The highest corporate counsel salary on the list went to a Google senior counsel paid $303,000 before bonuses and incentives.
- Are you an Amazon or Microsoft employee? Contact this reporter via the encrypted messaging app Signal (+1-425-344-8242) or email ([email protected]).
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
As Big Tech companies like Google, Amazon and Apple face mounting scrutiny from antitrust regulators, Business Insider analyzed foreign visa filings to find out how much they pay the internal lawyers representing them in competition and other legal matters.
American companies have to disclose salaries when they apply for visas on behalf of current or prospective foreign workers, and the Office of Foreign Labor Certification publishes the salaries every year.
We analyzed the data for nearly 20,000 active foreign-worker visas at the most valuable technology companies —Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Google, and Facebook — to find corporate counsel salaries. Microsoft and Facebook didn’t report any.
Corporate counsel titles cover a wide range of roles, from drafting commercial contracts to litigating in a court room. Companies often hire outside counsel to represent them, too. We listed the salaries for each of the legal counsel roles Amazon, Apple, and Google reported in visa filings, and used recent job postings to describe what duties the companies leave up to corporate counsel positions.
Job postings also suggest Amazon is beefing up its legal team with antitrust experts, hiring a US corporate counsel based in Seattle who specializes in competition matters, a senior competition counsel in the UK responsible for competition-related litigation and regulatory…