- To share your ETA in the Apple Maps app on your iPhone, you’ll need to tap the “Share ETA” button, which appears once you start navigating.
- Apple Maps can share your ETA with anyone in your contacts list, and anyone you’ve shared with will be able to track your progress in real time.
- ETA stands for “estimated time of arrival,” and tracks when you’re expected to arrive at your destination.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
The ETA (estimated time of arrival) feature in Apple Maps lets you give your friends a real-time window into your route and location — that way, they don’t have to wonder when you will arrive.
When you share your ETA, your contacts will be able to see where your iPhone is, and track you along your route.
Note that this feature isn’t available in the Maps app on an iPhone running iOS 12 or earlier.
How to share your ETA in Apple Maps on an iPhone
1. Open the Apple Maps app and find your destination.
2. If you haven’t already started directions to a location, tap the blue “Directions” button. Type in the location address, choose your preferred route and tap the green “GO” button to start navigation.
3. While navigating, tap the gray line at the bottom of your screen to reveal menu options, including “Share ETA.”
4. Tap the “Share ETA” button.
5. When you tap the “Share ETA” icon, Maps pulls up your five most recent contacts. Tap any one of those to share your ETA with that person. You can share your ETA with more than one person at a time.
6. If you want to share your ETA with someone who isn’t in your five most recent contacts, tap the “Contacts” icon to search for that person. Tap the contact on the list to start sharing.