It’s that time of year again: Apple is getting ready to announce new iPhones … and probably a bunch of other stuff. That also means it’s time for us to sum up what we’re expecting to see from Apple based on months of rumors and speculation.
First things first: there’s a good chance Apple will host two separate events this year, as the company appears to have a whole bunch of products left to announce in 2021. As such, we’re letting you know what we think is most likely to make an appearance, and what will likely take a little longer.
Without further ado, here’s what to expect from the September 14 event.
It’s September, and with the exception of last year — you know, a particularly unusual year — that’s the month Apple has announced all its major iPhone releases since 2012. There’s always the chance the company could adopt a different event timing — last year it revealed the new iPad and Apple Watch at an event before its iPhones — but the current buzz around the rumor mill makes that unlikely.
Here’s some of what we expect:
- We’re once again expecting four iPhone variants this year: the iPhone 13, the iPhone 13 Mini, the iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max.
- Apple will reportedly focus on increasing battery capacity throughout its line-up, although that might be partly because…
- …the Pro models are rumored to come with 120 Hz displays (finally).
- Apple is also expected to improve the cameras with better optics and a new astrophotography night mode, which the event invite itself might hint at.
- The phones may come with a smaller notch.
- They’ll still use the Lightning port rather than USB-C
- We’ve seen reports Apple is considering adding satellite communications to the iPhone 13, but even if those rumors pan out, the feature might not be enabled until next year. The feature will reportedly help users make emergency calls without a cellphone signal to start.
The non ‘Pro’ devices will reportedly come in six colors: black, blue, purple, Product (RED), white, and pink. That last one will replace last year’s green. Meanwhile, the Pro models may be offered in black, silver, gold, and bronze.
Overall, we don’t expect the phone to look too…