- Apple released its list of the most downloaded apps and games in 2020, and it reflects what a weird year it has been.
- Zoom’s popularity has soared during the pandemic as people looked for ways to stay connected while stuck at home.
- With major film and TV releases delayed, people have increasingly turned to streaming services, but Disney+ ranked much higher than Netflix.
- DoorDash came in at 14th, while Uber didn’t make the top 20 at all.
- “Among Us,” meanwhile, ranked number one on the App Store’s free game downloads.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Without question, 2020 has been a weird year – and that has been reflected that in people’s choice of apps.
But some of the trends may be a bit more of a shock. Disney+, for example, came in at third place while Netflix was all the way down at 12th, and TikTok beat YouTube depsite President Donald Trump’s calls to ban the app in the US.
Here are this year’s most downloaded free apps.
It’s of no surprise that Zoom tops the list of most downloaded free apps in 2020. The video conferencing app has boomed during the pandemic as people looked for ways to communicate with colleagues and loved ones during lockdown. In April, the company reported 300 million daily meeting participants. It has also been rolled out by many schools and colleges, too.
Users can either use the free service or pay to get access to more functions and avoid the 40-minute call limit.
Its rival Google Meet came in at 20th on Apple’s list.
TikTok is another app that has seen its popularity rocket during the pandemic. Seen by many as a…